I Ripper A Novel Stephen Hunter Books

I Ripper A Novel Stephen Hunter Books
I, RIPPER was definitely “outside the box.” It’s unlike anything else I’ve ever read. I love the title and how “I, Ripper” is incorporated into the story. Stephen Hunter is a brilliant writer and I also love how he told this tale in late nineteenth century British English.The story is told from alternating viewpoints – a journal kept by Jack the Ripper and a memoir written by a newspaper writer who covered the crimes. The writer, Jeb, admits he is not very heroic, but assures readers there is a hero later in the story.
I wasn’t real keen on this book early on. The opening journal entries are graphic murders followed by graphic sexual encounters followed by graphic murders. At one point I wondered if the book was simply going to be a fictionalized recounting of everything gruesome … but then finally, Jeb begins to channel his inner-Sherlock Holmes and work up a profile of who Jack the Ripper really is – and from that point forward I was unable to put the book down.
There are some tense scenes as Hunter builds to a dramatic conclusion. There are some “twists” and a few predictable moments as well. Taken as a whole, this is an incredibly imaginative book that is sure to entertain horror/thriller/crime fiction fans: 4/5 stars.

Tags : Amazon.com: I, Ripper: A Novel (9781476764856): Stephen Hunter: Books,Stephen Hunter,I, Ripper: A Novel,Simon & Schuster,1476764859,Thrillers - Historical,Jack,London (England) - History - 19th century,Mystery fiction,Mystery fiction.,Serial killers;London (England);Fiction.,Serial murderers,Suspense fiction,Suspense fiction.,AMERICAN HISTORICAL FICTION,AMERICAN MYSTERY & SUSPENSE FICTION,Action & Adventure,Crime & mystery,England,FICTION Action & Adventure,FICTION Historical General,FICTION Thrillers General,FICTION Thrillers Historical,Fiction,Fiction - Espionage Thriller,Fiction-Thriller,FictionAction & Adventure,FictionHistorical - General,FictionLiterary,GENERAL,General Adult,HUNTER, STEPHEN - PROSE & CRITICISM,Historical - General,Jack,,MysterySuspense,Thrillers - General,Thrillers - Historical,United States,the Ripper,thriller; london walks; Jack the Ripper; Victorian England; Whitechapel murders; Mary Jane Kelly; serial killer; historical fiction; historical thriller; true crime; Bob Lee Swagger; The Third Bullet;,Action & Adventure,FICTION Action & Adventure,FICTION Historical General,FICTION Thrillers General,FICTION Thrillers Historical,FictionAction & Adventure,FictionHistorical - General,FictionLiterary,Historical - General,Thrillers - General,Fiction - Espionage Thriller,American Historical Fiction,American Mystery & Suspense Fiction,Jack,,the Ripper,Fiction,MysterySuspense,Crime & mystery
I Ripper A Novel Stephen Hunter Books Reviews
This was the first (and so far only) Stephen Hunter book I've read. After reading an excellent and intriguing review in the New York Times I went for it and was not disappointed. First, Hunter grabs you with the Ripper's own words which he continues throughout the book. The reader is made to feel, at least in some sense, what it must have been like to kill and brutally dismember his victims. It's not an objective description as from a police report or history book, but rather you are right there as the action takes place. Of course, this is a work of fiction, but the descriptions are based on factual details and the reader feels privy to the grisliness of some of the most infamous horrific murders in history.
The descriptions of Whitechapel where most of the action takes place is dense with details of Victorian London and its lower class denizens , streets and back allies. You can smell the decrepitude and taste the dankness. For me Jack was finally put in a context I could see and feel.
The alternating sections between Jack and Jeb move the story along briskly with two potentially colliding agendas that obviously will meet at some point. But in what way? The ending, while not a hit in the head, makes sense within the story and contains enough surprise to satisfy.
I LOVE Stephen Hunter and own all his books, in hardback. (As a library user for most of my reading, that is high praise, indeed!). So, I pre ordered this one and eagerly awaited it. While I have about thirty more pages to read, I decided to review it now. I like this, but do not love it. It is incredibly gruesome and gory in places, lots of places. It is crude and vulgar at times, especially discussing the prostitutes and their customers. I know that us probably to be expected, but I don't like it.
I do like the way Hunter has developed his writing style to match that of a late 19th century author. It was a bit tedious to wade through the extra vocabulary typical of this time, but he has given Dickens a run for his money. (And, as a h.s. English teacher, I am inspired to assign my students to write an essay in the style of a favorite author.)
I have persevered and plan to enjoy finishing this book tonight. Maybe that is the key to my review I had to keep after myself to read this book. It is not an "I-can't-put-it-down" type of book for me. I am so close to the end, though, that I do want to find out his conclusion on Jack's identity. And I will give it five stars because how can I not for this author?
There are a lot of books, both fiction and non-fiction, about Jack the Ripper. I have read many of them. “I, Ripper” by Stephen Hunter is possibly the best fictional look at Saucy Jack that I have ever read. The tale is creatively told through two diaries; the diary of “Jack” and the diary of a newspaper reporter who is thrust into writing about the murders. Besides the obvious cast of characters Polly Nichols, Annie Chapman, Long Liz Stride, Katherine Eddowes, and of course poor Mary Kelly, Hunter has created a surrounding group that complements the primary players.
Of course the story is rife with bloody murder as well as the twisted sexuality one would expect from the Ripper. Written in incredibly beautiful and accurate Victorian English in all its varieties, the reader is transported through time and space to 1888 and the streets of Whitechapel. Following the steps of Red Jack as he chooses, pursues, and savages his victims the tension grows thicker by the word. As “Jeb”, the reporter’s nom de plume, investigates and writes of the crimes, his fascination grows. Other characters, some seemingly insignificant, are woven throughout, catching the reader’s attention and always raising the question, is that Jack?
With vibrant descriptions of the streets of London, the political atmosphere of those days, and the horrific living conditions of the poor versus the well-to-do, Hunter has created a landscape ripe with realism. His blending of fact with some believable fiction has provided a story any Ripperologist will enjoy as a tale built on truth. There are a few surprises that left me with my jaw on the floor. These shockers serve to make the story even more enticing.
I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a story thick with suspense and tension and of course, gory murders.
I, RIPPER was definitely “outside the box.” It’s unlike anything else I’ve ever read. I love the title and how “I, Ripper” is incorporated into the story. Stephen Hunter is a brilliant writer and I also love how he told this tale in late nineteenth century British English.
The story is told from alternating viewpoints – a journal kept by Jack the Ripper and a memoir written by a newspaper writer who covered the crimes. The writer, Jeb, admits he is not very heroic, but assures readers there is a hero later in the story.
I wasn’t real keen on this book early on. The opening journal entries are graphic murders followed by graphic sexual encounters followed by graphic murders. At one point I wondered if the book was simply going to be a fictionalized recounting of everything gruesome … but then finally, Jeb begins to channel his inner-Sherlock Holmes and work up a profile of who Jack the Ripper really is – and from that point forward I was unable to put the book down.
There are some tense scenes as Hunter builds to a dramatic conclusion. There are some “twists” and a few predictable moments as well. Taken as a whole, this is an incredibly imaginative book that is sure to entertain horror/thriller/crime fiction fans 4/5 stars.

0 Response to "[QRN]≡ Download Gratis I Ripper A Novel Stephen Hunter Books"
Post a Comment